Saturday, May 21, 2011

Baltimore, MD - The Oriole Bird

5/20/2011 - Baltimore Orioles - Camden Yards














Our never-ending trek through the American sports landscape found us back in Baltimore, MD last night, this time at the home of the Baltimore Orioles. I've been an O's fan since birth and while I wish I could provide some sort of glowing recap of the game (or the last dozen years for that matter), the fact is that the O's lost to their beltway rivals, the Washington Nationals. In fact, they did it in record setting style, yielding 17 runs. The only good new to report was that we missed the last field goal as the night extended past the littlest mascot hunter's bedtime (seriously, do the Washington Redskins ever even score 17?).

Fortunately, we're about the experience and not the outcome and as usual, Camden does not disappoint. When baseball's stadium design renaissance began in the early 1990s, Camden Yards was the pioneer. It was the first stadium built in a long time that didn't have the multi-sport cookie-cutter park feel to it. It opened in 1992 to tremendous fanfare and nightly sellouts. Built adjacent to the old B&O Warehouse the dominates the right field skyline and only blocks from Inner Harbor, it is the perfect example of an urban stadium that is easily accessible and fan-friendly.

While it's always fun to go to a new location, whenever I return to somewhere that I have been many times before, I always seem to find something new. During my (probably) 30 trips to Oriole games, I've never had the privilege to sit right behind the dugout until last night. What I learned was that those posh seats with the cupholders... they don't work if you are 6' 1". I had one knee wedged in the seat in front of me and my other foot shoved back under the seat. I felt like one of the $4 pretzels. In fact, before first pitch we had relocated closer to the foul pole into seats that allowed me to enjoy both the game and having feeling below my knees.

The clown-car seats notwithstanding, it was a great night. As big cities go, Baltimore is fairly easy to get in and out of (both in finding places and avoiding horrendous traffic) and the people are very friendly. I was astounded to see how many beer vendors knew the patrons by name (and vice versa) - although that could also have something to do with the Orioles success lately. We got to hang out with the Bird, sing Thank God I'm A Country Boy at the 7th inning stretch and see plenty of offense (even if it was the other team).

I think the Orioles are on their way back. The pitching is young but improving and management is making the right decisions to build for the not-so-distant future. I really hope that I'm right because as great as Camden Yards is, a sold-out Camden Yards was truly a sight to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment